Expert Review Panels (ERPs) have been established to review and update the domain measurement protocols in the PhenX Toolkit. Each ERP is responsible for reviewing one domain, or a cluster of domains. ERPs enhance the content (e.g. adding keywords and new references) and recommend retiring or adding new measurement protocols. Each ERP is composed of at least one former PhenX Working Group (WG) Member and one or more experts with relevant experience. One ERP member will be designated as the ERP Lead, who will drive the consensus process and present the ERP’s recommendations to the PhenX Steering Committee (SC). An SC Member will serve as a Liaison to each ERP and an ERP manager and supervisor will support each panel. The ERP domains were prioritized by the SC as shown below:
- Anthropometrics, Physical Activity and Physical Fitness, Nutrition and Dietary Supplements, Diabetes (Completed October 1, 2015)
- Demographics, Environmental Exposures, Social Environments (Completed May 31, 2016)
- Substance Abuse and Addiction, Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Substances (Completed November 21, 2016)
- Psychiatric, Neurology, Psychosocial (Completed November 28, 2017)
- Reproductive Health (Completed April 11, 2017)
- Respiratory (Completed November 28, 2017)
- Speech and Hearing
- Oral Health
- Infectious Diseases and Immunity
- Skin, Bone, Muscle and Joint
- Make recommendations to keep, update, retire, or replace each measurement protocol under the purview of the ERP.
- Consider the responses from the community outreach effort.
- Document the measurement protocols considered, the rationale for inclusion or exclusion, and any identified gaps.
- Review Existing measurement protocols
- Review existing measurement protocols based on guidance from the SC.
- Determine if a measurement protocol needs to be revised or replaced based on new scientific findings.
- Identify other measurement protocols that might enhance those currently in the PhenX Toolkit.
- Identify errors in the Toolkit to be fixed immediately.
- Recommend proposed changes to the SC.
- Consider ways to promote the updates through presentations, publications and other communications with the scientific community.
- Encourage colleagues to use the measurement protocols in the PhenX Toolkit.
Participate in an introductory conference call.
Determine which measurement protocols should be retained as-is, updated, replaced or retired, and make appropriate updates in preparation for outreach.
Conduct outreach with the scientific community to get feedback on the recommended changes. Hold meeting with the ERP to discuss feedback.
Provide the SC with all the recommended changes to measurement protocols. Prepare updates to be released into PhenX Toolkit.